When you think about the phrase “air quality,” what immediately comes to mind? Did you think about outdoor air pollution, envisioning polluted cityscapes and outdoor spaces? Unfortunately, the air quality in your home can be worse than the air outside.
When it comes to your indoor air quality (IAQ), your ductwork plays an essential role. Professional duct cleaning is something homeowners should have done on a regular basis, especially if any household members suffer from allergies or are immunocompromised.
In addition to keeping the air in your home clean and healthy, duct cleaning offers numerous other benefits for improving your home comfort. If you’re considering professional duct cleaning in Oak Creek, WI read on to learn about its benefits.
What Exactly Is In My Vents?
Here’s a list of some of the things that could be lurking in your vents and negatively affecting your indoor air quality.
- Dust and dust mites
- Pet dander
- Mold, mold spores, mildew
- Fungal spores
- Bacteria and viruses
- Rodents and insect debris
- Chemical pollutants
How Do Ducts Get Dirty?
Some people think that because they can’t see proof of dirty ducts in their homes, they don’t have an issue. But over time, your home’s ductwork inevitably accumulates dirt, dust, and other airborne particles. Although your system has an air filter in place to collect most of these particulates, it can’t always catch everything, especially if the air filter isn’t changed frequently.
Also, an air filter is placed at the return duct, where air first enters the system. The rest of your air ducts remain largely unprotected. Particulates can infiltrate the ducts by other means—through cracks in the ductwork itself, through the vents, or just from years of sitting untouched.
How Dirty Ducts Negatively Impact Your Home Comfort
Here are three major ways that dirty ductwork affects the health and comfort of the people living in your home.
- Allergies and respiratory issues: All that particulate matter is aggravating to anyone, but it’s especially harmful to people with allergies and respiratory issues. If you or your family members suffer from bad allergies or are sick frequently, dirty ductwork might be a contributing factor.
- Reduced airflow: All that buildup in your ducts will hinder the airflow in your home. This will result in the air from your vents being weaker than normal and it will also take longer to cool or heat your home.
- Irritated skin: Do you suffer from dry, itchy skin? Different irritants like dust or mold spores circulating in the air can cause or worsen skin issues such as eczema, rashes, and hives.
When to Schedule Duct Cleaning
Duct cleaning isn’t something you should need on an annual basis like maintenance. However, it is a good idea to schedule this service every one to three years. How frequently you need duct cleaning will vary depending on your use of your HVAC system, the solidity of your ductwork, and your indoor air quality.